Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Earliest Memories

Childhood memories are mostly sweet, though they might not be as much vivid, as one may want to be. There are often some missing links, some flashes - but all in all, everyone is able to recall, at least, some of those cherished moments.

I would share with you all some of my earliest memories I have.

School
Though it may sound ridiculous to some, I do have some faint memories of my first few days in school - perhaps even first day. I remember most of my abandoned, fellow class mates were crying at the top of their voices, looking for their mothers, with one or two of them even wetting their bottle green pants . Probably, I was also crying.

Cricket
The earliest memories of Cricket on TV are - Javed Mianadad hitting Chetan Sharma for a six at Sharjah, and Champion of Champions, Ravi Shastri driving that Audi at SCG.

Other Sport
The other major event which comes to my memory is AsiaD -1982, and it's mascot -Appu. It used to be a craze those days, with Appu stickers, labels, pencils etc available all around.

Movie
Amitabh Bachchan dancing on - 'Khai Ke Paan Banaras Wala', and - 'Mere Angney Mein' . I don't remember many fight sequences as I used to close my eyes during the same.

The first movie I remember watching in a cinema hall is probably 'Satyam Shivam Sundaram'

Video
The first movies I saw on a VCR were - Sharabi and Tohfa. Almost whole neighbourhood was there.

Trip
My first ever long trip was to Vindhyas and Mahadev hills, now in ChhattisGarh. It was the first time I saw hills and waterfalls.

Comics
Chandamama and Indrajaal's Phantom - The Ghost Who Walks. He was an enigma.

Sis
When she was born, I was angry with every one. But since I saw that extremely fair, tiny-winy creature, with those sleepy eyes in the hospital, till date, nothing has beaten that joy I felt some 21 years ago.

Friend
There was this guy with me in KG called Sanjeev. I don't know where he is now. Probably one of the first of my friends along with Ashutosh Bhatnagar.

Crush
That big eyed, fairy like girl in my first standard. She even complained to the teacher that I stare at her. When teacher asked me, I politely replied that I like her. Teacher smiled and politely told that to my mother. The same girl was in my class for full 12 years. It must be hardly 12 times, I might have talked to her. The longest ever crush. Right Hemant ?

Girl Friend
Met this girl in a function. We both were five, and it turned out that our mothers were long lost friends. The girl declared she is gonna marry me, and on the face of it, I had no objection. She even introduced me to her father, and stated her noble interest. Her father looked very relieved man at the prospect.

Alas, her resolve couldn't stand the storms of time.

Profession
Like everyone else, I wanted to be a Doctor. When one of my friends wanted to be an Engineer - I laughed at him. I did not want to fix punctures in the tyres, I announced. During my summer training at HAL, Lucknow, when I saw LCA landing gear and wheel being worked upon, I laughed at myself. Wheel of the time had turned a full circle.


Well, these are what I can currently think of. If you guys can think of any other category, I can add that later.

Labels: , ,

|