Friday, July 30, 2004

Remembrance

The TV channels today are abound with the  news  of suicide committed by  former Miss India,  Nafisa Joseph.  I  felt sad, not because she was a great model or anchor but because a life has been snuffed out at such a young age. 

That reminds me of the unfortunate incident that took place more than two years ago.  Nandu will feel upset reading this but I can't help remembering Chattu.  I still can't believe that Timir is dead and that too by committing suicide.  Known him for so many years,  I never thought he could ever think of suicide.  He  was too strong for that, though he was not that strong for drugs.

I still vividly remember,  when I first saw my fair,  baby face neighbour. It was my second day at  IIT -K ,  and my eyes lit up when he I came to know that he too was joining Aerospace department. He was a raggers delight.  Not afraid to do whatever seniors demanded,  and soon  he was a hit with seniors.  They got impressed with his witty replies and sweet face.

But how deceptive, his appearance was.  He was a complete rebel.  Though himself a bengali, he usually poked fun at bengalis.  Being a delhite,  he loathed Delhi.  He preferred any day, his native Jabalpur.  He hardly used to attend any classes, but just how managed to scrape through.  One of the younger profs - Sanjay Mittal once asked him the reason behind his absence in class.  He didn't make any  excuses and did simple plain speak .  He very innocently told the prof that he finds very difficult to sit for one hour.  Prof was sporting enough him to offer him to stay for half an hour in the class.

But somehow he fell into a bad company.  Company was bad not because the guys were loafers or criminals.  But they were big time smokers and drunkards.  Soon smoking gave way to small time doping.

Meanwhile, as we moved further into our departmental courses, our friendship grew.  He was my lab partner in almost all the lab courses.  We were together on industrial tour. He was my B.Tech partner as well.  We even got the job also together and in same company!

 He never missed any labs with me because he could never refuse to me.  He had some hidden respect  or love for me. He use to stop smoking whenever I entered his room.  He even apologized to me for his habit. He promised to give up but I knew he would never be able to do  that as long he was with his chums.

Gifted with tremendous brains, he was a sharp learner.  During the exams, he would come to me for the notes only when I was about to retire.  Then, he would study whole night and get a C or rarely D, that was enough for him.  Even one of our prof who was in B.Tech Project committee admitted to one of my batchmates that this guy has the tremendous presentation  abilities.  A few of them accepted that he was sharp as well. They had to give the top grade.

He always got good grades in the courses which he liked.  Along with me, he had made a glider prototype out of thermocol which had the best glide in the history of that course . It  fetched both of us an A in the course.   Once, he had missed a midsem of  AeroDymanics-II  because he kept on sleeping. When he went for next midsems,  prof couldn't recognize him and had to ask him of he was registered for the course. Even then, Timir Ranjan Chatterjee got a B in the course because of his performance in endsems.

To every one's utter shock, he was the first person along with me, who landed a job in the department( in the Geometric).  He had the least of the CPI.  But his mesmerizing face, sharp brain and honest answers got him the job.  That interview itself can be incuded into one of the classics.

He came to drop me at the station after our four years at IIT and thanked me for all that I had done for him. Later, in Geometric as well, we use to meet almost daily. But then, he had to go  for rehabilitation on insistence of his parents and company.  Probably he couldn't cope up with that and took his life.

There are lot many fun and emotion filled stories which could be shared about him. He was such a complex character. To me, he was different than what he was to others.  I have spent so much time with him that I can't ever forget him. I don't want to .

Labels: , , ,

|