Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Kettle Calling Pot Black

This is a piece of conversation which took place between me and my landlord, a few months back . I had gone to his place to discuss the terms and conditions on which I could rent his apartment.

Landlord : "So you are from UP ?"
Myself : I thought he might get frightened and shoo me off, therefore I decided to be more specific to sound less frightening. "I am from Lucknow, uncle."

Landlord: "It's one and the same thing."
No it's not, I wanted to stay, but smiled instead.

Landlord : "What to you do, my son?"
Myself : "Sir, I am working as Group Leader in a CAD/CAM related Software Company."

Landlord : "How long have you been working ?"
Myself : "It's almost 5 years now."

Landlord : "I am seeing Poona's culture changing. Young boys and girls do not get a job. That's because people from other parts of the country are migrating and taking job over here. It has become tough for our kids now."
Myself : He was blunt , though I also felt pity on him. I thought, probably his son was jobless or something. I ventured "What does your son do ?"

Landlord: He beamed "Oh, he is working in Singapore. He is working as senior manager in a software firm."

It was my turn to frown. That was very convenient. If I come to another part my country for work , I am an outsider, while at the same time if one may go to some other country to earn big bucks, it's perfectly Ok.

These guys don't realize that Govn. of India didn't create IIT - Kanpur only for Kanpurites or IIT- Mumbai only for Mumbites. These places are there to attract best of the talents, which ever part of the country one hails from.

Similarly, companies want best talent to work for them, which may not necessarily be local. It is they who go to the best of the college campuses fetching for talent and this is in their interest. It adds to the prosperity of not only the individual but to the company's and that region's prosperity as well.

I was pretty keen on getting his house on rent so I changed the topic and concentrated on terms and condition. So much so for the stereotype. They won't get away in a day anyway, I thought.
|