Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Mad Rush !

Two-Three years back,during Diwali, I wanted to book myself a railway ticket from Lucknow to Kalyan in III AC, Pushpak Express. I had contacted the agent a day before the day reservations were to start. When the agent reached reservation counter by 11 o'clock - status was already 25 waiting. I cursed the agent aloud for his late-lateefy by 3 hours, and had to travel in sleeper.

This Diwali, I again wanted a ticket for same route,train and class. Reservations started today, and this time I didn't want to take the risk of the agents. I reached the reservation office at 7.30( well before stipulated 8.00), without even having a tea. My number came bang at 8.10, and to my utter chagrin, the clerk, with his sheepish smile, informed me that it was 3rd waiting ! I could not beileve it. Disappointed, I had to change both the train and starting point of my journey.

This mad rush for the Mumbai has rendered even a two month old reservation effort as Tatkaal. What is more surprising is the fact that, now there is one more superfast train which runs between Lucknow and Mumbai(albeit at alternate days), but still the situation is same. Festival, VIP quotas, touts are the reasons behind it.

Pushpak Express has to be the busiest train I have ever traveled. All those Luckhnawis, Kanpurias and Bhopallies will certainly agree with me.
|