Friday, January 21, 2005

Office Bus Quirks

Last evening while returning from the office, just when I was safely perched in my usual seat, nonchalantly watching the bus filling up with the returning birds to their respective cozy nests, I was amused to see certain peculiar behaviour of my fellow travelers. I thought it would be interesting to share with you all.

I will start with myself. I realized that I have my fair share of quirks as well. I usually arrive five minutes early to the spot. This is because since it's an half hour drive home, I would rather prefer a comfortable seat of my choice, than a cramped one forced upon me.

Given a choice, I usually sit on the seat directly above the wheels, by the (firmly closed) window. This is because, below this particular seat the floor is slightly raised, half the seat length on either side to accommodate the wheels. So even in a crowded scenario only two people sit to avoid the discomfort for the person sitting in middle.

Otherwise, I tried to avoid those asphyxiated people who open windows during the cold of the night as well. Either I sit at least three-four rows behind them, or request them to close the windows. I don't have a strong immune like most. I wish such people could be allowed sit at bus roof.

Now about the walking habits inside the bus. A few guys I saw put hand on the either seats every row while walking to the destination. It seems as if they are counting the seats. Then there are those who are always confused where to sit. They would pause at the every row trying to make their mind ultimately settling at some seat they would always regret choosing.

Some would walk straight, while a few broader ones would face one side while walking. Some audacious ones will walk like royals staring every inhabitant straight into eyes, while other will use their eye corners.

This one guy is queerest of all. He would sit at the first available space. Even if just one place is left. He wouldn't even look behind the rest of the bus for better options. And his walk is very peculiar. He would drag his one feet, fix it and then drag the other one to the first. With each stride he covers one row. He doesn't have any knee problem, but he does not seem to relish walking.

In the end, I would make a comment on the ladies corner. Although, no such corner exists, but a first few rows are usually occupied by them. I bet, if one wants to read a book, or dream about his/her darling, or just doze off, it's just NOT possible. Such high decibel commotion is there from these seats, that one just can't concentrate. And I am not saying this for the effect. It's a fact. No offence meant.

Rest later.
|