Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Electricity Bill

My rented accommodation is a one bedroom hall kitchen (1 BHK is the term) flat located in one of the cheapest area of the city. Though I have changed flats thrice, I have stayed more or less at the same locality owing to it's proximity to main markets and cost effectiveness. But whatever plan I had for my cost cutting, I never bargained for this.

In my house, I have three tubelights, two fans, a television, a refrigerator, a washing machine, a geyser, a music system, a steam iron, an Aquaguard in the name of electrical appliances. And I assure you most of these items are used as per the need, though, not extravagantly.

By now you must be wondering that these items are pretty much there in every middle class household, so what's there to brag about. I agree. I am not bragging about these items, rather, I'm gonna brag about the electricity bill I receive every two months.

The bill I just received for the months of February-March is a princely sum of FIFTY RUPEES. Surprised ? Not me anymore.

Since the time I have shifted to this place ten months back, I have been consistently getting bi-monthly bills in the range of Rs 50-90. However, every one else in the neighbourhood never got less than four hundered rupee bill.

Courtesy these bills, I have come to know that a bank cheque below Rs 100 is not acceptable in India. Every time I go to submit those bills, the receiving clerk always gives me a bewildering look.

If that was surprising, here comes the shocker. My friends stayed in a flat four blocks away from mine. They never got the bill during their four year stay. The landlord didn't care. Afraid that they might get an accumulated bill with surcharge, they went to Mahrashtra Electricity Board Office. The officials had a good laugh at them.

According to the ignorant officials, there was no electricity connection to their building. In other words, the building didn't ever exist in their records, though, electronic meters are installed the building.

No wonder Puneites are facing 4 hour announced rostering 5 days a week. The unannounced electricity absence comes as bonus. This happens only in India.
|