Monday, December 19, 2005

Lessons In Kannada

During the past week, I have been taking a few Kannada lessons because of which my vocabulary in the language has considerably improved. I am more "aware" of the language now, and am myself ready to spread the awareness.

I have signed a memorandum of understanding with Karnataka government regarding this, and as the first step to achieve this I have decided to take the august services of this blog. My dear readers, you are kindly requested to help me and the Karnataka government in this noble cause. Here is the first lesson -

Benguluru means Banglore, known as the IT city of India, and also popular for its gardens and lovely weather. Now known more for its notorious traffic jams and nuisance HD DeveGowda.

Mysuru means Mysore, known for its botanical gardens and Dussehra. It was a part of Vijayanagar kingdom. Also, it is the native place of RK Laxman, RK Narayan and Javagal Srinath.

Manguluru means Mangalore, popular as the home city of Aishwariya Rai, and has some very nice beaches. Close to the famous Udupi.

Huballi means Hubli, is known for its textile industry. It is situated in Western Ghats, and has a twin city in Dharwad.

Belgauri mean Belgaum, situated in foothills of Sahyadris, is now more known for the tussle between Karnataka and Maharashtra to lay claim on this district, owing to its huge Marathi speaking population. In fact, Kulkarni is a Kannada word though they prominently speak Marathi.

So far so much. More in later classes.
|