Monday, November 20, 2006

Easy CAT: Really ?

The CAT( Combined Admission Tests) was out of the bag yesterday for the 6 IIMs. Examinees were elated. They have double reason to do so. First, half an more(total 2.5 hours) for the paper, and then an easy Mathematics paper.

But if I were them, I would rather be not.

In my case, I have found that if the (any)paper was believed to be an "easy" by the junta, I have always fared badly. While tougher the paper, the better I did. I had realized this quite early in my life, so before any exam, I would pray to God to make it tough. Not that God had any say in making of the paper.

And this is not the absolute performance I am talking about; it was my percentile performance which bettered. And think, it might hold true for others as well, though it may not be obvious to many of us.

This is because, an 'easy' paper is just a notion, which might make sense for an interview or viva, but during a competition it is 'easy' for everyone. A weak candidate may feel easier, while a strong candidate would may come home more comfortably, so both will feel happy.

But the real problematic situation is for the fringe players like me who always remain on the edge. Reason - I never did the absolute preparation in my life, and never completed the whole course. This is since I started studying on my own, and luckily my parents believed my half lies.

My methodology was this - after studying the pattern and previous exam papers, I always, prepared what was "important" and had more "probability" to come in exams. If something was optional(like in boards) I would save my energy, by preparing only for one of the options.

Saving grace was that this "important" and "probability" was based analysis rather than instinct. Also, my strong point was speed, especially during the crisis.

An easy paper meant that those who had prepared the complete course, would be at an advantage than me because they would invariably be answering more questions.

A toughie would imply that there is no guarantee the other guy can answer all, even if he has prepared everything, and then my speed would come to my advantage.

Now an easier CAT would have nearly kept me out of reckoning(though there is nothing like a course here), and this half and hour extension would have nullified my speed advantage too.

Sad, I have flunked this CAT even without appearing for it!

Labels:

|