Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Haunted House Of Horror

Let me make a confession. It won't be a too charitable statement on me, but I am bit scared of ghosts!

Not that I have myself witnessed or experienced any supernatural phenomenon, and not that I make quite an issue about this, but I believe that those who think there is nothing called ghosts are the next one to see them.

Therefore, I keep a balance, and nor do I say about non-existence of the ghosts as an idea, and neither do I proactively advocate about them.

I am not all at blame for this. All my kiddo life, most of my cousins and uncles were ready with one spook story or the other. So be it the Peepal Ka Ped at the backyard, or their Ulte Pair - all had indelible effect on my psyche. The fact that these evil spirits are afraid of fire and Hanuman Chalisa was not much of console.

My little sister knows of this fact. So when The Haunted House Of Horror opened shop in Lucknow, she made me promise her to visit the place along with me whenever I was in Lucknow. Since she shares the same uncles and cousins as me, she too is scared of the spooks, but she didn't want to miss out the sight of my scared face.

Sadist sibling pleasures.

During my September visit - I, my sister, and another cousin went to that place above CCD at Hazratganj. Only two people are allowed per trip, but since I was the only male amongst there , we all went inside together.

The idea was like this - there would be some ghosts inside, who will try to instill the fear of Satan in all of us. It would be short 10 minute trip along a dark, serpentine alley, full of strange voices, skeletons, and ghosts, of course.

Family pressure made me take this trip which I wouldn't have otherwise taken. This is not in my Deoxyribose Nucleic Acid. But, the trip turned out to much different than I had imagined.

There was a pitched darkness inside, with tremendous amount of stereophonic-cum-human yelling. More than the fear of the surroundings, I was more afraid of falling down and breaking my teeth.

The first casualty was my cousin. She immediately chickened out, and doubled back the path she came in. No amount of persuasion by the security guard outside could make her come in again.

The other two brave girls desperately clutched each of my hands respectively. The amount of noise, together with lurking ghosts, took the winds out of them. They were screaming in panicky.

But, I was disappointed. The whole stuff didn't look spooky at all. Once my eyes got adjusted to the darkness, I could see people inside, who couldn't hide themselves good enough. The skeletons too looked a bit artificial. At that moment, I decided to have a little fun my self.

I began replying to their voices all along. I even mocked at them for the bad arrangement, given the good concept. A hanging artificial snake was at my hands reach, which I snapped it off from its thread, and threw at one of the hiding attendants.

Meanwhile, we had reached the end. A person was hiding near the door to open it. As soon he came to open, I just jumped at him. The poor guy thought I was about to hit him. He just ran for the cover, and fell down while doing so.

I came out laughing, albeit with a hoarse throat. It was such a disappointment for my sister. Poor girl thought I would be scared, which never happened. Instead, it was she and my cousin who had hearts in their mouth all along.

Labels: , ,

|