Saturday, October 23, 2004

Weekend Muse

Ravana is dead, Goddess has gone to river...and I am working over the weekend. Sigh ! People may be surprised, but I am not used to work on weekends, despite myself being a software professional. Surprised ?

Not that my work doesn't demand it, but not always. All my superiors till date have secretly desired my presence on most of the weekends. But they have been nice enough, never command me into it. Occasionally, they have subtly hinted, but never did they made it obvious.

I have not been stubborn, though. As and when, I feel the need, I do make it to the desk. For me, I have always thought this profession as a medium to earn my living honestly. But that must not necessarily mean working on unearthly hours, without any reason. Just because one is a bachelor, or pretty excited about a project or bug. This way, one's personal life gets killed, creates false expectations which are impractical to sustain for long.

I am outside my home for eleven hours, of which I work for almost ten. I do not take any coffee or smoke breaks. I just go for a 20 minute brisk walk. Yes, I do take break to relax my eyes. But I work to my capacity, and give my best. Even if I try to over work myself, my efficiency takes a dip. Not good for, both, me and my employers.

These are the reasons enough for me. But this weekend, it's different and important. So even if Ravana is dead, and Goddess has gone to river - I need to work.
|