Monday, December 20, 2004

The Indian Ghost Stories

If you come across a book titled - The Indian Ghost Stories, written by various writers, compiled by Ruskin Bond, and published by Penguin India Publications, with a price tag of Rs 150 - please make a note that it is for NOT to buy. I will tell you why.

While I was in Lucknow last month, and checking into some books in Universal Book Store at Hazratganj, after a long long time, I came across this book. I could not hide my joy because the stories were written by the luminaries like Rudyard Kipiling, Arthur Canon Doyle, Satyajit Ray, Victor Banerjee and many other known and not-so-known names.

Moreover, it was compiled by Ruskin Bond. I remember while reading Delhi Is Not Far, Bond fondly mentioned about some splendid spooky stories, he chanced upon in a Dak Bangla, during one of his father's several hunting trips. The back of this book said that these were the same stories. I was myself happy to chance upon the treasure that was this book. Or so I thought.

The story reading had never been so disappointing. As the name suggested, all stories belonged to India; mostly during the Raj period. I must say that stories by Indian authors were some what gripping, with some element of mystery. But most of the English writers' works were trash. No spook element whatsoever.

Biggest culprit was Rudyard Kipling. Both of his stories , written in some weird flow of English, not reader friendly, and brought me headache. And of course, smacked of all those cliches associated with the Raj. The Indian characters were shown as oppressed, worker class, & thugs. While, English were superior, haughty, & sacrosanct. In line with his notorious statement about Indians - 'The white man's burden'.

Then there were all those oft repeated facts about India like snakes, jogis, elephants; the cast related digs and stereotypes. The stories about villages, jungles and superstitions. Even the Gods were not spared.

More importantly, the whole book was all but scary. It won't scare or excite even a kid, leave alone adults. I am sure it was the Dak Bangla which scared the child Ruskin, not this book. He fooled me into this one, but at least those who read this post would be wiser.

My Previous Book Review -Delhi Is Not Far

Labels: , ,

|