Monday, January 24, 2005

...

This weekend brought a very bad news for me. One of my very close friend's mother-in-law has been murdered by thieves. Only just two hours back we were talking on the phone, when I again got his call at 11pm.

His wife was inconsolable. Her heart rending screams reached us even at the base of the building. The reason for shock was not only her mother's sudden demise, but also the manner in which it happened.

The incident happened in a very posh locality of Lucknow - Indira Nagar, that too as early 8.30pm. Her house servant was also slain, and luckily uncle was saved as he was not at home that time.

Such unfortunate incidents keep happening, but it hits us the most when some near or dear one is involved. We are very close friends, and moreover, I had met aunty last April. She was an extremely nice lady, the one who makes even a stranger feel at home. It was painfully shocking. The sleep deserted us that night. I can't even imagine what's the family going through with.

Some times I do feel that Islamic punishments should be applied. We all know thieves don't kill. Not a person who is as old as sixty five with a fractured leg. But she and the other person were killed in cold blood. I can not explain my anguish and sorrow.

It's really a crime to be rich. They are the easy and prime targets. And now these incidents are happening even relatively peaceful cities. It's dead scary to leave our folks alone back home. Law and order has taken beating all over. I sincerely pray the culprits get caught and lynched.

I am not able forget the girl's face. The trauma has hit us so hard, I am sure for her it's going to be terrible next few months. I am visiting her in Lucknow next week.

Labels:

|