Monday, January 03, 2005

My Dear Roomie

When I first saw this hurly-burly fellow, flashing a powerhouse smile, and proffering a firm hand( to shake), I knew I was in safe hands. All the apprehensions about my would be roommate vanished, almost immediately. Roomies in true sense, we remained together all three years in Hall-III, and we even remained neighbours in Hall -I, during final year, where accommodations were one in one.

That is a rare occasion, as you all would know. For us, the case was settled during the end of the first year, when he announced that he was not going to leave me, not for anyone. And I was glad. From the next year, the question didn't even arise. The issue was closed once for all.

As I was safe, so were my belongings. In my absence, NO ONE could take any of my things. His prying eyes would always insure that. And, of course, no body dare forced his way. His grips were iron. Subir would vouch for that.

He and alcohol, together, were like Molotov cocktail. No one can control him then, except, perhaps, me. But I never tried. Even during one such misadventure, while blasting every one else, he had only kind words for me. That Chauhan Bahut Achha Aadmi Hai. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed.

I haven't ever seen anyone work so hard. His methods used to be instant. He never pondered much. When he joined IIT, he wasn't that proficient in English. But he wanted to do MS. He wanted run his own company. With his sheer perseverance and genius, his English is now flawless. He has completed his MS. Works in US, and has started his own company, based in India.

Want to share a little secret. Though, he always brought the famous Aligarhi Sohan Papdi(plus namkeen ) for every one, he always hid some extra stuff. That were exclusively for both of us. The other good thing about him - he can't remember the story of the movie he might have seen a day before, not even the name. Lucky, no? Every time, the movie is afresh.

His only grudge is that he can not sing more than one line. He just can't do it.

Miss you my dear roomie. Have a very nice Birthday, Rajeev.

My Previous BrithDay Wish - Nandan

Labels: ,

|