Thursday, March 31, 2005

A Chat To Cherish

The city, which has some lovely large gardens like Bund Graden, Saras Bag, Empress Garden, Sambhaji Park, Kamla Nehru Park etc is however devoid of smaller parks for the children. Not many societies have them.

Fortunately, there is a beautiful park bang in the center of our society. It also houses a small Ganesh temple. Come evening, small children with or without their grandmas really swarm the whole place. Their clamour is not deafening, rather, is soothing to ears. The park becomes their playground and it's a joy to behold, and I behold that joy quite frequently.

Yesterday evening, I had an experience which made all my visits worthy many times over. I was sitting on a bench, where this cute little girl stood forlorn watching others play. When our eyes met, I just playfully waved at her. Little did I know what was to follow. She smiled and waved back, and soon she was sitting alongside me.

Before I could pop any query, she asked "Akely Kyun Baithe Ho?". I was a bit flustered, though I did say something vague. "Waise Mera Naam Ananya Hai" and as I was acknowledging her nice name, she added "Mai Apni Mummy Ke Saath Aayi Hoon". By now I had overcome hesitation, and was beginning to enjoy the conversation with this chirpy girl.

The only problem was that her answers were coming before my questions. "Waise Abhi Mai School Nahin Jati, Per Mujhey School Bhejne Ka Socha Ja Raha Hai." I laughed aloud with this one. This girl was damn smart, and had a heart melting smile. Every sentence she spoke, was accompanied by gesticulating by her hands, like a DaadiAmma.

She went on to tell me which building she lives in, where as I told her my name, and the building in which I stay in. I came to know that she comes to park daily, and has a lot of friends. She was not playing that day because "Mai Thak Gayi Hoon". This conversation might have gone on and on, but her mother decided to leave.

We exchanged good byes, and she went away in half trot-half jump sort of gait, chirpy like ever. Probably she was telling her mother what small talk she had with a stranger almost 25 years elder than her. I was again a kid for those twenty minutes.

It's always been difficult for me to break easily into conversation with ladies. But this time the lady herself was forthcoming. I enjoyed every bit of it. That's why I love female kids. Exceptions like Harsh are rare and welcome.
|