Friday, May 20, 2005

When A Stranger Makes You Smile

Reading this post from Vandy (about an unexpected pleasant behaviour exhibited by a stranger) reminds me of a small, pleasant incident which took place on the day I had mirchi at Mirchi Kola.

While I was parking my car on a road side paid parking space, owing to insufficient lights, I turned the vehicle a trifle too close to a Maruti Omni. As a result, the left side of my car's back bumper got slightly unhooked from its slot, and was left a bit dangling.

Not much problem I thought. Now days I have grown myself beyond these minor damages. But the two parking attendants were more alarmed than I was. They earnestly began searching for the broken hook which keeps the bumper in the slot. I joined them, but also told them that since it was broken, it was of no use, so cool it off.

Soon, I forgot about that incident, and made myself busy at the busy MG Road. After shopping and dining, when I returned back to my car after two hours I noticed that the bumper was no more dangling. On looking more closely, I realized that those boys had tied the left bumper to the slot with a metallic wire. I was pleasantly surprised.

These men, not earning even fifty rupees a day, not sure of their jobs next day, having tonnes of the other worries, actually made an effort to fix the problem for which even I had no concern. This was not their job. It was the fag end of a hot, sultry day. They must have toiled whole day under the relentless sun.

I promptly approached them and expressed my gratitude. They smiled it off. The mirchi in my mouth immediately vanished. The ride back home was a better one. We need more such persons who bring you unexpected smiles.
|