Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Deewar

(Warning: This post may hurt the religious sentiment of many people. I apologise in advance)

For the lovers of movie Deewar, there was a double treat this Sunday.

SAB TV was showing the original Deewar, while Sahara Filmy was showing the dubbed version of its Tamil remake - Thee - almost simultaneously. I wouldn't have cast a second glance at the dubbed one when suddenly I noticed - Darwaja Mai Kholoonga scene. It was then that I realised it is Deewar remake. Curiously, I hung on.

Incidentally, Amitabh's character - Vijay was played by none other than Rajinikant.

It was literally a frame by frame copy of the original. The production values were poor comparitively. While former was typically a serious film, latter was comic relief primarily because director had let Rajnikant make complete hash of the character with his antiques. He would still light his match sticks with chair handle. But then it is his style.

Interestingly, Shashi Kapoor's character Ravi is played by Suman, the actor who has played villain in Sivaji - The Boss. Rajini has also worked in other remakes of Amitabh's hits - (Billa - Don, Ram Robert Rahim - Amar Akbar Antony, Panakkaran - Laawaris, Padikkathavan - Khuddar, Velaikkaran - Namak Halal, Dharmathin Thalivan - Kasme Vaade, Mr. Bharath - Trishul).

One of my Tamil friends from Chennai told me an interesting story. When I asked him the reason behind Baba Rajini's lunatic fan following, he told me it was because Rajini's has 7th sense. I asked what was that ?

The answer - Nonsense.

Labels:

|