Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Thank You, Dravid

This post may look an opportunastic hindsight, but believe me I had planned to write this, the day Rahul Dravid resigned as the captain. But I really don't have much time left to make posts these days.

After the shameful exit at the World Cup in West Indies, when he was not sacked, I wondered what will it take for the BCCI to do that. Even after the more shameful decision to not to enforce the Follow On in England (- which in my opinion took India back by 20 years to the great Sunny (Captaincy) Days, when Gavaskar used to make abslolutely sure that India's should not be in the position to lose -), I had given hope on his sacking.

But Rahul Dravid shook daylights out of me when he resigned! This as a situation I had never imagined! As much as I respect his grit and batting skills, he turned out to be one of most uninspiring captain of the recent times at the ground & most shamelessly stubborn on at the press conferences.

First round World Cup exit was an forgone conclusion which I had predicted almost an year ago. But his sissy decision to not to enforce Follow On could have done even more serious dent to the mindset young sports person of the country. He and Sachin are legends to whom crores emulate. But cowardice is not to be emulated. And that was cowardice in no uncertain terms.

Even otherwise, every single match he captained was a live example of bad, auto pilot captaincy. He absolutely never thought out of the box. His perpetual frowns and tensed eye brows inflicted such a negative impression on the team!

I think he only could have got rid of himself, and that will be good for India in long term. It has already proved good for short term.

Labels:

|