Friday, August 19, 2005

Rakhi

Predictable post, but it ought to be.

Ever since I became understanding enough to understand that importance of this festival is way beyond just tying fancy threads, enjoying sweets and getting gifts, there has never been an occasion I didn't have a Rakhi in my hand. Alas, courtesy ever-delaying Indian Postal Department - no Rakhi this time. To say I am broke is a huge understatement.

Though, I have only one immediate (younger)sister, but after accounting paternal, maternal, Muhboli sisters and cousins - my both hands have been always full, and pockets always empty. Since my little sister is way too younger than me (seven and a quarter years), she has been a kiddo(and probably will aways remain) for a larger part of my life.

When very young, she would scamper away with sweets even before tying the Rakhi to me. She would also insist that I tie her a Rakhi too! Of course, as far as gift is concerned eleven rupee was a big money then, big enough for little her.

As I had many cousins, and Muhboli sisters in Lucknow - all living in different corners and centers of the city, Sadakein Naaptey Naaptey Jootey Ghis Jaatey The. Those whom I would visit later found it very hard to locate some unoccupied space to just about fit in their own thread.

A few of my cousins, who were not from the city were gracious enough to make a visit every year, some as far as 100 KM. Use to feel very guilty about this, but they never complained. In fact, the look of happiness and satisfaction in their eyes use to melt away any such doubts. What an irony, haven't seen many of them in years.

It was only prudent to skip the dinner. There would hardly be any apetite or space at the end of the day.

I am sure this exactly is what must be happening in the small town India. Brothers and sisters, making a point to visit each other, taking small time out of their busy schedules. Of course, some cities are very professional, where work doesn't stop even in the adversity, leave alone a festival. There, Rakshabandhan can wait. For ever.

For me it is one of the sweetest occasion to celebrate. Happy Rakshabandhan to all. Enjoy lyrics of this haunting song, sung exceptionally well by Kishore. I have often cried buckets hearing this.

Post Script: Even as I was writing this post, the courier carrying Rakhis has arrived. Whew, and hurrrraayy! What a timing!

PhoolonKaTaronKa.jpg

Labels: , ,

|