Monday, March 19, 2007

Mee Punekar (Replies)

Sudipta has put the cat amongst the pigeons, by forwarding my post to Desipundit as a result there has been a sudden flurry of comments in my box. I thought it would be better if I replied in full post here.

Kusum Rohra: Sorry as much I tried to find, I couldn't find it. However, even yesterday when the bail acceptance was put on TOI, along with each culprit, there home city name was also mentioned in parenthesis. They get so horrifically wrong with the facts that they mentioned Yamunanagar in Uttar Pradesh, which in fact is in Harayana.

Karlton: Sorry, I somehow forgot that and so did I forget the incident of blackening of the face Fergusson College principal - another landmark in the city synonymous with its culture.

Vick: Yes Vick, I remember. It was just an year back in March when Meher Bhargava was killed. Issues and their severity are different. But as I said then, a criminal is a criminal whether outsider or insider, and s/he should be punished according to law of land. This post is not about not punishing the offenders, if they are destroying the basic fabric of the city, but about the sheer hypocrisy.

Its a human nature, but when the debates carried to national newspapers and channels, then it kind of project wrong picture to people all over.

Shriniwas : Yes, I agree that all can't be painted in same colour. I have mentioned specific events which are related to specific persons. I think during our parents time, the things were different. Now we are at different times, and this intolerance is slowly but surely increasing.

HP: So true, what more can be said. Some are more, and some are less.

Sarang: I guess you have read the post in complete haste. Never ever in my post did I mention about Maharashtrians. You can read again. This is in general not only my view. The Maharashtrians from other cities to have the problem coming here. People from places like Nanded, Jalgaon, Beed, Akola, Usmanabad, Solapur, Satara, Sangli are treated same way.

However, due to lack of information, and some "IN GENERAL" information, you have lot of prejudices and misconceptions to which you may not agree. I am not talking about IN GENERAL prejudices and misconceptions others have here, because that I have talked about earlier too, but only yours.

Misconception # 1: North indians are not immune to similar feeling...just that they haven't been expressed yet, because who after all,in his right mind, will go to U.P,Bihar, M.P., Rajasthan to live and work?No one. If maharashtrians tmrw start moving there, I assure you that you (or other north indians) might make similar statements.

You might be surprised to know that since you mentioned about Marwaris, and Gujaratis which throng to Maharashtra, they also do in huge numbers other part of North India , and settle there. So do Punjabis, Bengalis, Kashmirs in large numbers and Tamils, Kannadas, Malayalis, and Telgus in lesser numbers. And yes, all in their right frame of mind. And no ethnic statements till now.

Misconception # 2: The point you haven't mentioned is that North Indians come to Mahrashtra, settle here and then often, try and project how superior unka des is(read one comment above). The fact is that they have come here to escape the lack of industry, law and order,education in their state. So its a bit rich for them to say this.

The comment which you have mentioned is from one North Indian to other North India staying just 200 kms away, and that too in jest.

True that they come here for lack industry, but industry is not someone's ancestral property. Its for the talented and deserving, whoever it may be. If you are then you get the job, and if I am, then I get. Companies go there and fish for talent, if they don't get here. Despite all this, people are neither exactly begging there, nor are they dying of hunger.

About law and order. Of all my life I lived there, I wasn't exactly lynched. Nor are the people are who are living there currently.

Now the education. Now if you are talking about Pune's colleges, let me inform you, barring a few, rest of them are sheer PR exercise. These institutions are there to unload people's pockets, and as far as standard of education in them, I know it inside out. Sheer junk.

About the school education, you won't believe it - its as good as yours in cities. They crack national level exams like IIT-JEEs, IIMs, ICS, CBSEs, PMTs, NDA, Olympiads, NTSEs and whatever you can think of, unlike here. And nobody comes here to study in the schools here anayway.

Misconception # 3: The other fact is that north indians, IN GENERAL, bring the same 'fix it', 'law is for asses' atitude in day to day life. Remember I said IN GENERAL. This is their general outlook to life- since they havee been brought up in such a society- as compared to Mahrashtra, South India and Bengal- which, IN GENERAL, are more law abiding, in their outlook.

Didn't you see Raj Thackrey's press conference? Haven't you heard about Bal Thackerey? Who is this Arun Gawli? Haven't you traveled by autos here? If you want to know about their basic law abiding outlook read this. How come a policeman raped a school girl in police chowky? What do you know about rural Bengal? What happened in Banglore for a week when Rajkumar died? Why did people burnt a school bus containing children in Tamil Nadu when Jayayalalita was convicted? Why did they involve in vandalism at BORI? Why did they burnt whole Singhania hospital in Thane after throwing patients out when one a Shiv Sena office bearer died of accident? Is this law abiding? Or was the killing of Mahatma Gandhi? Lets not get into this loop.

The more you are literate, the more law abiding you tend to be. People here are more literate. But in 15 years or so, even this gap will be bridged.

Misconception # 4: People like you who fail to realize this and just attack Mahrashtrians and make one sided statements are educated but not wise.

I repeat, never once I talked about Maharashtrians or North Indians because I believe we all are Indians. Its only TOIs reporter and you are talking so, I am afraid.

Labels:

|